JOINT DEGREE PROGRAMME
BA in Creative Media / BAS in New Media (offered by CityU) and BA in Digital Media (offered by Leuphana University, Germany)
The Joint Degree
The School of Creative Media (SCM) at City University of Hong Kong (CityU) and Leuphana University of Lüneburg, Germany, offer a Joint Degree Programme in Creative Media and Digital Media, focusing on creative industries and digital media theory. The programme is available for SCM students in BACM and BAS majors. Students will study for four semesters at SCM and four semesters at Leuphana University's BA in Digital Media programme, complete 50% of the graduation requirement of both programmes, and get two degrees – one from Hong Kong, another from Germany. The medium of instruction of the Programme is English: all Joint Degree courses and many of the Minor courses at Leuphana University are taught in English.
In addition to the career prospects of BACM and BAS graduates, participants of the Joint Degree Programme will have an inter-cultural understanding of creative media and digital media in Asia and Europe. The Programme will offer insights on the creative industries field in both Germany and the broader European Union context. Living and studying in Germany will give an excellent opportunity for professional networking through participation in internships, new media art festivals, etc. International students can work a total of 120 full or 240 half days per year. After graduating, students may extend their residence permits in Germany for up to 18 months for the purpose of looking for employment, subject to prevailing German regulations. Students can choose to take German language courses at Leuphana and practice the language in daily life. Together these combine into excellent career prospects for global creative media professionals, unique in the Hong Kong region!
Living and Studying in Leuphana, Germany
Leuphana is located in Lüneburg, about 25 minutes' local train commute from Hamburg (Germany's second largest city) and two hours train journey from Berlin. Lüneburg has a lot of cultural heritage – an idyllic medieval town centre and a rich cultural life with lots of student activities. Lüneburg is accessible and affordable. Leuphana University arranges accommodation in apartments either on or off campus, or with host families. Students will not have to pay extra fees in addition to CityU's tuition fee, but are responsible for their travel and living expenses to/in Germany.
Schedule of Study
Students will spend their first three semesters at SCM, completing most of the School Required Courses, the University Language Requirement and some essential basic Major Core courses. From Semester B of their second year, students will move to Germany where they follow Leuphana's Digital Media curriculum for four semesters, returning to SCM for their final semester.
Applications for the Joint Degree will be considered after students have been allocated into Majors.
Admission Requirements (with effect from 2016/17)
Students are eligible to participate in the joint degree
- Have completed 18 credits of School Required Courses as listed below:
- CS1103 Introduction to Media Computing (3 credits)
- CS1303 Introduction to Internet and Programming (3 credits)
- SM1701 Contemporary and New Media Art (3 credits)
- SM1702 Creative Media Studio I (6 credits)
- SM2702 Interdisciplinary Practices in Art, Science and the Humanities (3 credits)
- Have declared BACM major and completed 21 credits of GE / Major Electives / Free Electives and 6 credits of Major Core course SM2715 Creative Coding and SM2706 Critical Theory & Socially Engaged Practices.
Have declared BAS major and completed 21 credits of GE / Major Electives / Free Electives and 9 credits of Major Core courses JC2001 Introduction to the Sciences for Artists, SM2706 Critical Theory & Socially Engaged Practices and SM2715 Creative Coding.
- Have completed at least 3 credits in German language course (the School encourages the students to take additional German course(s) before departure).
- Have a good to excellent academic record, with Year 1 CGPA of 3.0 or above.
Remark: Special consideration may be given to students who are required to take
Participating students will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Year 1 CGPA
- Completion of courses as specified in the Admission Requirements above
- Personal Statement on inspiration to participate in the Joint Degree (Letter of Motivation)
- Interview performance, if applicable
- Other supporting documents submitted by the students, if applicable
See the curriculum at the sample Study Paths for students participating in the Joint Degree programme. Click here (login required) to see various sample study paths posted at SCM Student Bulletin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Click here to see the FAQs
|Leuphana Bachelor Digital Media||https://bit.ly/2KrF8xd|
|Leuphana's International Office||http://www.leuphana.de/en/services/io.html|
|Leuphana Housing Services||https://bit.ly/2k0rKEZ|
|Leuphana's Academic Calendar||https://bit.ly/2Gl9KOF|
|German Academic Exchange Service||http://bit.ly/19iLyHx|
|For enquiry on Joint Degree Programme, please send email to email@example.com.|