OUTBOUND EXCHANGE PROGRAMME
(for students from the School of Creative Media Only)
About the programme
The School of Creative Media (SCM) and the University have entered into student exchange agreements with various institutions around the world to provide students with ample opportunities for academic as well as cultural exchanges. The valuable exposure and experience will serve to widen your horizons and build an international network of friends and colleagues.
If you are interested in undertaking exchange study at a Mainland/overseas institution, please discuss this with your Programme/Major Leader and refer to the following sections for application and related information:
Who Can Apply
- It is not recommended that final year students undertake exchange studies during their final semester of study with the School.
Application Procedures and Deadlines
- First Round Application Period (Fall/Spring semester entry) – December to January
- Second Round Application Period (Spring semester entry only) – August to September
- List of Partner Institutions at the Institutional Level
- List of Partner Institutions at the School Level
- An academic transcript
- Proof of language proficiency (if applicable), such as TOEFL or IELTS result, or any other proof of language proficiency acceptable to CityU and/or the partner institutions
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- For institutional level student exchange programme, please check the information on GEO’s website for the list of partner institutions that you are eligible to apply for.
- Students who wish to participate in exchange programmes using English as the medium of instruction and assessment should submit TOEFL/IELTS result or other recognised English language proficiency tests.
- Students may be required to attend an interview.
- Students will be notified of the application results through e-mail by the Global Services Office by the following dates:
- First Round (Fall/Spring semester entry) – March
- Second Round (Spring semester entry only) – October
- If your application for the Student Exchange Programme is successful, you are required to submit a Proposed Course Plan with approval of your Programme/Major Leader. You should also seek approval for non-SCM courses from the course offering department.
- Selection criteria include:
- Satisfactory academic performance
- Evidence of benefits to students’ study in SCM (e.g. relevance to your final-year/graduation project, your study path or career goal)
- Willingness to explore a new culture, meet new people and enthusiasm to be an ambassador of CityU and the School in the future
- Language proficiency (Putonghua and / or English, as appropriate)
- Proposal of a worthwhile project to be undertaken during the exchange period (may form part of the coursework/project requirement of the partner institution)
- Students who have previously participated in CityU's international experience programmes with duration of 4 weeks or more, including but not limited to Leuphana Joint Degree Programme, Student Exchange Programme, summer study programmes, will receive lower priority during selection.
- The partner institutions, however, reserve the final decision on the admission of exchange students.
- Financial support and scholarships such as Student Exchange Fund and Joseph Lau Student Exchange Awards managed by Global Services Office
- Scholarships in Support of Student Exchange Programmes (subject to latest updates shown at the webpage) managed by Student Development Services
- Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation Exchange Scholarships (Please refer to the Scholarship and Financial Aid (SFA) Catalogue for details via AIMS. Information within SFA Catalogue shall be final.) Successful SCM applicants for the student exchange programme with financial difficulty are eligible to apply for the captioned Scholarship.
Notes to Successful Students
- Students who successfully received an exchange offer in the Student Exchange Programme should refer to the FLOW CHART (extracted from the “Outgoing Student’s Proposed Course Plan ” form) for the procedures about making a study proposal and credit transfer preparation. See also page 3 to 5 of the form for other important notes on credit transfer.
- Only after you are successfully offered a place of exchange study, should you need to get the approval of your completed “Outgoing Student’s Proposed Course Plan ” from your programme leader.
- If you have to select non-SCM courses which fall into your programme curriculum to fulfill the programme requirements, you are required to seek approval from the course offering department on the respective courses. For GE courses, you are required to seek approval from EDGE or other course offering departments, please refer to the guideline here.
- Please follow closely to the procedures in the FLOW CHART for all the preparation of credit transfer.
- You should make a credit transfer application formally to the SCM General Office after your come back from the exchange study. Application form can be downloaded HERE.
List of Partner Institutions at the School Level
|City||Name of Institution||No. of Exchange Places Per Year||Concentration Areas|
|Beijing||School of Arts, Peking University
|2||Music, Art Theory, Fine Art, Film Theory|
|School of Art and Communication, Beijing Normal University
|2 – 3||Film & TV production, Music, Fine Art, Dance|
|China Central Academy of Fine Arts
|3||Painting, Sculpture, Art Design, Photography, Architecture, Fine arts, Animation|
|Shanghai||College of Arts and Media, Tongji University
|2||Design, animation, photography, advertising, TV production|
|Shanghai Theatre Academy
|3||Acting, Stage Design, Directing, Dramatic Literature, Chinese Opera, Dance, Television Arts, Creativity Studies|
|Taiwan||College of Journalism & Communications,
|2 – 3||TV & radio production, Visual Design, Multimedia design, Photography, Animation|
|College of Creative Design, Asia University
|School of Film and New Media, Taipei National University of the Arts (TNUA)
|5||Music, Art, Theatre, Dance, Film and New Media, Culture Resources|
|Malaysia||Multimedia University, Malaysia||3||Areas of information technology and multimedia|
|South Korea||Department of Art and Technology, Sogang University||4||Art & Technology (Media Design, Media Arts & Technology, Computer Graphics), Humanities, Social studies, Economics and Science|
|College of Fine Arts, Seoul National University||2||Media Art, Communication Design, Integrated Creative Design, Art Management, Painting, Sculpture, Crafts and Design|
|School of Art and Design, Korea University||4||Industrial & Information Design, Formative Arts, Product System Design, Product Development, Digital Design|
|Japan||Tokyo University of Technology
(exchange programme only offers in Spring semester & for BScCM students only)
|Computer Science, Media Science, Design, Biotechnology, Engineering and Health Science|
|Czech Republic||Academy of Fine Arts in Prague||3||Painting/fine art, Sculpture/ fine art, Drawing and Printmaking, Intermedia Studies, New Media, Art Conservation–Paintings, Art Conservation–Sculptures, and Architecture.|
|Hungary||Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design Budapest, Hungary||4||Architecture, Design, Media and Theory|
|Switzerland||Department of Art & Media, Zürich University of the Arts (ZHdK)||1 – 2||Fine Arts, Photography, Media Arts, Theory|
|Finland||Faculty of Art & Design, University of Lapland||4||Art education, Audiovisual media, Industrial Design, Cultural Studies|
|Norway||University of Bergen||5||Fine Art, Music, Design, Humanities, Law, Sciences, Medicine, Psychology, Social Sciences|
|United Kingdom||Abertay University, Dundee||4
(exchange programme opens for BScCM students only)
|Computer Arts, Game Design and Production, Game Technology and Development, Computing, Business, Health Sciences, Social Sciences, Law|
|Department of Computing, Goldsmiths, University of London||4
(exchange programme in 2018/19 only)
|Computer Science, Creative Computing, Digital Arts Computing, Electronic Music, Computing and Technology, Games Programming, Journalism, Business Computing and Entrpreneurship|
|Ireland||School of Fine Art, National College of Art and Design (NCAD)||2||Media, Painting, Fine Print and Sculpture|